Signs of Gum Disease
Periodontal Disease in Torrance, CA
Gum disease is a result of bacterial growth in your mouth that causes harm to the gum tissue surrounding your teeth. While some symptoms are easier to ignore, if gum disease is untreated it can lead to bone and tooth loss. Don’t ignore the signs of gum disease—we can treat the problem before it gets worse. At South Bay Dental Smiles in Torrance, CA we offer gum disease treatment solutions for any stage of gum disease.
The earliest sign of periodontitis is an irritated gum line that might present some discomfort or bleeding when you brush, floss, or have your teeth cleaned professionally. If not treated, the gums will start to retract and pull away from the teeth. This creates spaces between the teeth and gums called periodontal pockets that can quickly become filled with harmful accumulations. Your dentist will typically measure the depths of these pockets to determine how far the condition has spread and what treatment is needed to correct the problem. If gum disease eventually makes its way down to the jawbone and the connective tissues of teeth, the jawbone can deteriorate, and teeth can be lost.
Common Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
- Gum recession
- “Long teeth”
- Tooth mobility (loose tooth/movement)
- Sore teeth when you chew/bite
- Spaces between teeth
- Deep pockets under your gums
- Visible bone loss on X-rays
- Heavy tartar buildup
- Bad breath
- Bleeding when you brush and floss
- Swollen, red gums
Please keep in mind that if you smoke, vape, or use tobacco products, you may not see the same symptoms as someone who doesn’t. Your tissues could look “healthy” due to the lack of bleeding or swelling, even if the disease is present.
Gum disease is a very common oral health problem that with proper treatment can minimize the harmful effects. Call our team at South Bay Dental Smiles with any questions and for treatment options.
Back To School Dental Checkup
It’s Time For Your 6-Month Visit
Now that the rush of going back to school is over, it is time to schedule a visit to the dentist. And not just for the kids! At South Bay Dental Smiles, we make this easy to do by offering online scheduling on our website or by calling our office. This allows you to find a date and time that works best for you and your family. With the busy holiday season approaching, it is important to maintain a happy, healthy smile.
How often should you go to the dentist?
For regular dental check-ups, we recommend visiting every six months. Check-ups at least every six months will allow you to keep your mouth healthy. It also allows our team to stay up to date on any changes that may have occurred. According to the American Dental Association, a check-up and cleaning every six months is the best way to maintain a healthy smile. A good habit of brushing and flossing daily will keep teeth clean and healthy in between visits.
Why are dental checkups important?
Through examination by a trained dentist, many oral health concerns can be detected and then treated. Dental checkups provide professional cleanings, oral cancer screenings, and digital X-rays to check for hidden issues. This helps to eliminate plaque buildup and other bacteria that daily brushing and flossing won’t effectively eliminate.
Why are brushing and flossing so important?
It is important to brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time. While you are brushing, make sure to brush every surface of the tooth. Using a soft-bristled toothbrush with a shape that best fits your mouth will result in the best cleaning. A toothbrush that correctly fits into your mouth will allow you to reach every tooth effectively. Brushing before school and before bed is a great schedule to aim for. Adding flossing to your brushing routine will take the cleaning to the next level. Flossing allows you to get a deeper clean between the teeth, where a toothbrush might not reach. Starting a thorough oral hygiene routine is key to maintaining optimal oral health in between dental visits. It might seem difficult to start, but add it to the morning routine before school.
Regular dental checkups are a must to keep a healthy and clean mouth. Talk with your dentist about any issues you are having with your teeth. The key is continuing to visit the dentist for regular teeth cleanings to prevent problems altogether. Here at South Bay Dental Smiles, we’re always here to help you. Call our office at (310) 792-0049 to get an appointment for a dental checkup.Learn More About Regular Dental Checkups
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Teeth Whitening Procedures
Teeth Whitening has been around for decades and millions of people use whitening products – including plenty of dentists. According to dental professionals, they haven’t seen an increase in problems like cavity risk or tooth fractures after teeth whitening procedures. South Bay Dental Smiles works to provide safe teeth whitening services for our patients.
Side Effects of Teeth Whitening
- Teeth Sensitivity: Your teeth may become more sensitive after getting them whitened. You may experience this after your first or second treatment, and it can diminish with time. Ask your doctor if they can recommend products for treating sensitivity at your next appointment.
- Irritated Gums: You may also experience gingival irritation, which happens when your gums become irritated. If the whitening products touch your gums, then they may become irritated, but South Bay Dental Smiles takes precautions to eliminate this risk.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- Safety: The American Dental Association (ADA) has stated that hydrogen peroxide whiteners are safe and effective. At South Bay Dental Smiles, we care for our patients like they are our family. The side effects of teeth whitening stated above usually only occur with at-home teeth whitening products. At our office, we work to minimize the side effects as much as possible.
- Quick Process: Our whitening process is quick and effective. You can walk away with whitened teeth in just one session rather than waiting months for at-home products to take into effect.
- No Recurring Appointments: You won’t have to keep coming into our office for additional appointments because whitening your teeth too frequently can actually damage your teeth. With just a couple of sessions of professional whitening, you can achieve the bright, white smile that you desire.
If you are worried about your upcoming teeth whitening procedure or worried about an at-home product you are using, you can always ask your doctor if the product is safe. South Bay Dental Smiles offers professional teeth whitening that is safe and effective. If you would like to schedule a teeth whitening appointment, use the button below or learn more about teeth whitening at our office.Schedule Your Teeth Whitening Appointment
Learn More About Teeth Whitening at South Bay Dental Smiles